NESA has published clarified ACE Rules on the NSW Curriculum website. Stay up to date with the clarified ACE Rules by visiting this website.
The clarified rules come into effect from 14 October 2024. Schools must not implement the clarified rules before this date. Schools must use the current ACE Rules on Loading... until 14 October 2024.
To learn more about how NESA has clarified the ACE Rules, refer to the information sheets.
Granting leave and approving a returning student for the HSC
NESA is authorised under sections 20A and 95 of the Education Act 1990 (NSW) to:
- prepare and distribute to schools information relating to the course of study for candidates for the HSC, and eligibility to be awarded the HSC
- delegate to principals the authority to make decisions for students at their own school, whether they have satisfactorily participated in and completed appropriate courses of study for the HSC.
13.5.1 Granting leave to HSC students
Principals may grant leave to HSC students
- Principals have discretion to grant leave to an HSC student in accordance with school and/or sector policies and procedures.
- Principals must advise HSC students applying for leave that all course completion, assessment requirements, and exam attendance requirements continue to apply, irrespective of whether their leave request is granted or not.1
- When determining whether to grant leave to an HSC student, principals must be satisfied that:
- Principals may negotiate the completion of course and assessment requirements with the student in accordance with the school’s policies and procedures for school-based assessment.
Related ACE Rules
For further information
Students granted leave cannot access illness/misadventure for missed assessment tasks while on leave.
Principals may arrange a substitute assessment task(s) for an HSC student with approved leave in line with the policies and procedures for school-based assessment.
Assessment data includes HSC assessment marks; and/or grades; and/or optional exam estimated marks; and/or Life Skills outcomes.
13.5.2 Applying for leave during the HSC
HSC students must request leave from their principal
- An HSC student wishing to take leave during the HSC year must seek approval from their principal, and:
- provide a reason for requesting leave
- negotiate the completion of any course requirements in the HSC course(s) they are entered into, and
- negotiate the completion of any assessment requirements in the HSC course(s) they are entered into.
- HSC students are responsible for meeting all course completion, assessment completion, and exam attendance requirements, irrespective of whether their leave request is granted or not.